Monday, October 12, 2009

Bison Farm 9-10-09

I know this is on the late side - but we had problems with flashdrives and pic's. I'm not sure what we did --but here we are. This is Chief the Alpha male on the Beech Hill & Bison Ranch in North Waterford, ME. This was an AWESOME field trip . Chief is just inicrediable. What a beautiful animal. You really need to see these animals in person , to believe their size. Chief is around 2300 lbs.
Here he is eating apples the kids tossed in the fence. I can't imagine how big these guys look to the little kids.

This shot I tried to get all the groups in one shot. We had two groups, ours and a group from ME.
I hope everyone learned a lot that day, I know I did.Like these are the largest land animal in the United States.The numbers of the bison that roam North America today on both public and private land are about 550,000.The bison were the Indian's most main sources to life. They used all the parts of the buffalo.
This is Little Warrior, He is one of twins.This is very rare among bison. The mother only takes care of one, and rejects the other. This little guy is a miracle, He is now around 200 lbs. Here he is looking for his lunch.

Here they feed him with a bucket and nipple. They don't want him to have human contact, he needs to go back into the herd when he is big enough.

With a full belly, he is ready for a nap in the sun.

The owners of the bison farm,--Ted and Doretta, had a friend of theirs paint this life size painting on their barn door, so people could get the full effect of how big the bison really are.
This is Mag and I up close to the bison. What a beatiful job painting this animal. And this is a picture of chief by the way.

Just a fun fact:--- Buffalo - means one, Bison means many. Like goose, and geese. I thought that was interesting.







No comments:

Post a Comment